Comments / Reviews

November 2, 2016

Comments / Reviews

Comments

1. Leah Thorn - June 16, 2017 at 5:18 am -

I live in England. How can I get to see the film? It looks wonderful

Leah

2. Carol Korengold - April 19, 2017 at 11:17 am -

I live in the Chicago area. My grandparents were from Kastoria. I believe I may be related to Rosalind Russo Hanckel. My Grandfather was a Mevorah, and my grandmother was a Russo.

Will the movie ever be shown in Chicago, and is there any way for Rosalind to get in touch with me?

3. 4rx - April 13, 2017 at 4:35 pm -

say thanks to so considerably for your website it aids a great deal. http://bit.ly/2p7LTKb

4. ilana - April 8, 2017 at 1:33 am -

PLEASE let us know where we can buy a DVD or how we can watch this documentary. Many people have been asking about this for months but nobody responds to comments here.

5. Rosalind Russo Hanckel - April 2, 2017 at 11:19 am -

Watching the trailer of this movie brought tears to my eyes. I have a photo of many of the Jewish people in the village, many relatives of mine, when my grandmother was visiting in 1936. She came home to Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, and as your film confirms, in 1940, the Jews in Kastoria were slaughtered in Auschwitz. My mother’s family and my father’s family were from Kastoria, the Russos and the Mevorachs. My great-grandfather, Rabbi Mevorach, I am told, was the chief Rabbi of the area. Please let me know how we can view this movie. Thank you so much.

6. Marina M - March 25, 2017 at 10:20 pm -

Thank you for the wonderfully heartfelt and incredibly well researched film. My grandparents were also from Kastoria and I would like to purchase copies for my sisters and cousins. Please let me know if there’s a way how.

7. Maddy - February 12, 2017 at 5:11 pm -

Hello there! I was googling and searching around on the internet as I’ve definitely done in the past and was so incredibly excited to come across this website and your film! My yiayia and pappou are both from Kastoria and I’ve heard so many interesting childhood stories about WWII time and I would love love love to be able to watch this!

8. David Balavram - February 8, 2017 at 10:45 pm -

Hello
    My grandmother was born in kastoria . I always s knew about the town from her stories and childhood . I just happened to google jews from kastoria and same upon all this information . My heart is jumping to actually learn more about her town and what happened to her family . She never knew what happened to them just That the letters stopped and she heard they were all killed . She came to the USA in 1913 . Want to find out how I get a copy of the film or I guess somehow to downloading it . I actually have original pictures of her family that she left behind . Her name was Eva Rouso or Russo . She married my grandfather Joseph Balavram from Izmir. Her father would have been Jacob. Her other family names were Mayo,and I believe Hassan .

9. Jeffrey Lapidus - January 21, 2017 at 3:11 pm -

My name is Jeffrey Lapidus. My maternal grandparents were from Kastoria. There name was Russo and lived in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn and were friends with the Confino family. I live in south Florida. Is there any way to see/purchase your movie??

10. Marcy L Bloom - January 6, 2017 at 12:50 am -

My maternal grandparents were from Kastoria and I would like to very much be able to view/purchase this film. Can you please let me know how and when that might be possible?I live in Seattle, Washington and eagerly await your response. .

11. Dan Cahn - December 26, 2016 at 3:56 pm -

Hello my father’s family was from Kastoria and I visited the three remaining Jews there in 1978. My Grandmother and uncle went there in 1963 to try and reclaim their home without success. I live in Israel and am visiting my 85 year old cousin this January 7th and 8th, is there ANY POSSIBLE way we can see your movie? Can we rent it? or is there any place where it is still being shown? I can’t tell you how much we would like to see it.
    Thank you for your consideration.

12. Rachel Cohen - December 13, 2016 at 3:04 pm -

Where are the answers to these questions? what is the use of us asking questions if no one is answering them? I would have wanted to ask where I can to see this movie but what is the point?

13. Stavros Vlachos - December 11, 2016 at 10:00 am -

Can I purchase a DVD of the film or is there a way to see it online as soon is possible.Thank you

14. Robert Confino - December 10, 2016 at 11:48 am -

We would very much like to see this documentary-either in a theater or purchase. We live in New York City. Perhaps the NYC Holocaust Museum? Robert Confino

15. Christina Chavarria - December 7, 2016 at 9:05 am -

How may I see this documentary? I live in Washington, DC and work at the US Holocaust Memorial Museum. We are trying to expand our outreach to the Sephardic community. Thank you in advance for any information you may share on how I may see the film.

16. Eva - December 3, 2016 at 7:14 pm -

I live in NY. Can I purchase a DVD of the film or is there a way to see it online? Thank you!

17. Jackie Sauter - November 30, 2016 at 10:57 pm -

Just heard about this film and need to see it. My grandfather, my Papoo, was from Kastoria. His name was Sam DeMayo. Will the film be available for online viewing? Or is there a DVD I can purchase?

18. George - November 6, 2016 at 1:40 pm -

Unbelievable work in documentary. Beautifully filmed with a surprising and amazing wealth of information and footage for such a small community of Sephardi Jews. Interesting to have found out that a member of this community was the Confino family whose immigration story is one of New York Tenement Museum’s touring attractions.

19. Irish Lawyer - November 6, 2016 at 1:38 pm -

It’s so well done, the interviews are fascinating and the original footage is gripping, raw, powerful – hard to watch in places, but always fascinating. A masterfully made and fascinating film , it held my attention all the way through.

20. Matt Mayer - November 4, 2016 at 8:56 pm -

I loved the movie!

21. Sandra Abrahams - November 4, 2016 at 3:11 pm -

Missed it at JIFF , WILL ITBE SHOWN AGAIN IN MELBOURNE

22. sophie arvanitou - November 3, 2016 at 7:53 am -

I have just come home after watching your amazing film about your family story and your connection to a very long tradition of living in Kastoria, Greece. We are who we are and never forget where we come from, is what I have to say. My own family lived as a minority group (Greek) on the island of Tenedo, (Bozcaada) Turkey under Ottoman rule pre 1923. The bonds of a close knit community is in the blood and sharing your personal account of your mother’s family made me think that it does not matter when you leave your land of birth it is not always a choice we like to make for so many reasons as stated in your film. Congratulations, and it was a pleasure to meet you Larry tonight. Sophie Arvanitou. Melbourne, Australia